An efficient, effective and high quality health care system that is accessible, equitable and affordable for every person in Kiambu County.
To provide health services that is equitable, accessible and accountable to the people of Kiambu County through participatory Leadership.
MANDATE OF THE DEPARTMENT
To provide health services, create an enabling environment, regulate, set standards and policy for health service delivery.
- Policy Formulation and Implementation
- Preventive and Promotive Health Services
- Curative and Rehabilitative Health Services
- Standards and Regulations
- Monitoring and Evaluation of provision of Health care services
The County Health Office, Kiambu is located in Thika Town, north of Kenya’s capital city Nairobi. It’s accessible through the road, rail and even by air using small chartered planes. It is housed in the former Directorate of Health building. The department is charged with the responsibilities of overseeing health related issues in terms of management, supervisory duties. The department is headed by a Minister/CEC. To assist him is a Chief Officer who in turn gets technical support from a County Director through a County Health Management Team (CHMT). The team comprises of a competent pool of officers from various disciplines. These disciplines include the Nursing, Health Records, Clinical, Partnerships & Information, Laboratories, Public Health among others.
Kiambu county citizens are served by the following facilities classified in the following tiers:
- Tier 5- Inter-county facility (1)
- Tier 4 -Hospitals (13)
- Tier 3 -Health Centres (24)
- Tier 2 -Dispensaries (70)
The Department of Health – Kiambu County is responsible for promotion, regulation and provision of health care services to the people of Kiambu County and Kenya in general. The Department is committed to ensuring that the services are of quality and are accessible to every citizen.
The Department is dedicated to espousing these core values as the guiding principles for the operations of the County:
- Customer-focused: We consistently endeavour to create enduring relationships with our customers; in so doing our approach goes beyond standard people participation methods and make their input an integrated, formalized part of setting county projects/program goals, performance measures, and standards. At the heart of our activities is a county ready to provide solutions in the short and long term.
- Professionalism: Competency and uncompromising service delivery is exuded in every facet of our work. We reward merit amongst colleagues while applying the most appropriate skills and competencies to serve our constituents. We apply the same ethics and ethos with our stakeholders.
- Integrity: Truthfulness and uprightness are an integral part of our operations. The county shall advocate these firmly to the ethical practices in every undertaking to our society.
- Equity and Equality: We do not regard status or personal preferences but approach our work as guided by principles of fairness and non-bias.
- Transparency and Accountability: The department endeavors to act in a transparent, unambiguous, predictable and understandable manner in all its businesses. We will remain accountable to our stakeholders and will acknowledge responsibility for our actions and decisions.
- Team work: Every person is important and has a part in county development. We endeavour to build a workplace environment that cultivates person’s uniqueness, encourages staff participation, collaboration and integration of diverse skills and capabilities.
- Creativity and Innovativeness: We promote an innovative culture and attitude. We think differently and strive to apply innovative thinking and creativity to everything we do. Our county is open to new ideas and methods and we encourage individuals to explore new opportunities and improve performance and results.