Administration and Public Services
Heads Of Department
Dr. Margaret Ruinge
CEC - ADMINISTRATION & PUBLIC SERVICE
CO - ADMINISTRATION & PUBLIC SERVICE
To become a people centred, transformative and accountable administration and public service.
To provide effective and efficient services through guided formulation and implementation of regulatory framework to the public.
- General administration
- Human Resource Management
- Enforcement of laws
- Betting, Lotteries and Gaming Control
- Alcoholic Drinks Regulation and Control
- Legal services
- Public Particpation
- Disaster Management and Special Programmes
ROLE OF THE COUNTY ADMINISTRATION AND PUBLIC SERVICE DEPARTMENT
DIRECTORATE OF ALCHOLIC DRINKS CONTROL
The Directorate of Alcoholic Drinks Control (DADC) was established under an Act of County Assembly in August 2013 and was mandated to coordinate the County response aimed at prevention, control, management and mitigation of alcohol abuse as well as coordinate national and other counties collaboration networks towards alcohol abuse control.
Supply suppression on the other hand is the formulation, enactment and enforcement of policy, legislation and other means to control the production, trafficking and sale of alcohol. Players in supply suppression include County Assembly, neighboring County governments, and inter-agency committee, was formed to coordinate implementation of policy and measures to curb illicit alcohol abuse in Kiambu.
The Committee has membership drawn from various County Government Departments and agencies involved in the fight against illicit alcohol including: Directorate of Alcoholic Drinks Control as the secretariat, Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government, Department of Administration and Public Service, Department of Health, Kenya Police Service, Kenya Bureau of Standards, Kenya Anti – Counterfeit Agency and the National Intelligence Service.
The Ministry of Interior and Coordination of National Government is responsible for administration and internal security through the National Administration system. Key anti-drug agencies in the Ministry include National Police Service and National Intelligence Service. The Department of Health contributes in ensuring the health standards of the alcohol manufactured and the outlets dealing in alcohol are of the required standards.
KEBS is mandated to develop standards, provide product testing services, measurement services, quality assurance services, and product and management system certification services. Kenya Anti Counterfeit Agency is involved in ensuring that genuine manufacturers do not deal abet counterfeiting of the produced alcohol.
DIRECTORATE ENFORCEMENT OF LAWS
Enforcement Section within the County Government of Kiambu comprises of the following sectors:
These sectors complement one another, apart from complementing other departments of the County Government, in enforcement of the various laws. These include Physical Planning and Housing, Public Health, Environment, Finance and Economic Planning.
DIRECTORATE OF BETTING CONTROL AND LICENCING
Betting control and Licensing Board is a division in the department of Administration and Public service in Kiambu County. Most of the functions are currently being carried out by the National government. The only functions which have been devolved and operationalized in Kiambu County include;
- Enforcement and compliance. The Gaming Inspectors are working in the various counties, Kiambu included.
- Licensing of pool tables. Kiambu County government printed its own pool table permits which the B.C.L.B division has been issuing to the pool table operators in the county.
- Curbing of illegal gambling within the county. The division has been sensitizing the public on illegal gambling especially with the influx of the illegal gaming machines in the county. It has also been working with the police to ensure that the illegal operators are arrested and prosecuted.
DIRECTORATE OF HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
Human Resource Management (HRM) refers to that part of an organization’s activities designed to attract, train, develop and maintain an effective workforce. Some activities and roles undertaken include:
- Drawing up job descriptions,
- Organizing the process of recruiting and selecting new staff,
- Organize training (e.g. Induction training for new staff),
- Arrange and conduct performance appraisal,
- Planning future staffing requirements
- Handling grievances,
- Implementing the Human Resources Policy, e.g. Equal opportunities (line managers are expected to be aware of all legal requirements affecting HR)
DIRECTORATE OF PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
The Directorate of Public Participation and Citizen Petitions is established by the Kiambu County Citizen Petition and Participation Act, 2015. The directorate is charged with:
- Coordinating public participation activities of the county executive;
- Mobilize and organize the public, stakeholders and local communities to participate in county governance and decision making processes
- Sensitize the public on county structures and opportunities for public participation
- Establishing linkages with Local and International Institutions, Associations
- Or organizations whose objectives is to promote public participation within the county
- Collaborate with relevant institution in the county to promote access to information and civic education programs
- Establish an appropriate feedback mechanism to the public
- Ensure that the citizen participation processes adhere to the relevant legislation, regulations, policies or guidelines affecting the rights and responsibilities of the public, officers and the participants
- Facilitate public education and training programs relating to citizen participation
- Receiving and coordinating citizen petitions within the county executive
- Maintaining a depository of all information, correspondence and documentation on public participation and citizens petition within the county executive
- Advise the executive member generally on the appropriate policies, plans and strategies for enhancing public participation in the county; and
- Carry out any other function in furtherance of the objects and purpose of the Act and as may be assigned by the Executive Member
Subject to part vii of the County Governments act 2012, the guiding principles of this directorate are:
- The communities, organizations and citizens to be affected by a decision shall have the right to be consulted and involved in the decision making process.
- Public contributions shall be taken into consideration when making decisions
- Promotion of sustainable decisions by recognizing and communicating the needs and interests of all participants including decision makers.
- Facilitation of the involvement of communities, organizations and citizens potentially affected by or interested in a decision.
- Mandatory participant’s consultation and input in designing how the participate.
- Participants equitable access to the information they need to participate in a meaningful manner.
- Communication to participants on how their input affected the decision.
- Adhere to the national values and principles of governance set out under Article 10 of the Constitution.
- Adhere to the values and principles of Public Service set out under Article 232 of the Constitution.
- Adhere to principles of leadership and integrity set out in Chapter Six of the constitution and
- Adhere to the principles of citizen participation set out in section 87 of the county government Act, 2012
RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF A CITIZEN
Resident or any member of the public with interest in County Affairs has the duty and responsibility to;
- Acquire and read information and materials on the public participation issues.
- Constructively participate in the forums and platforms created by the County Government for Public Participation;
- Seek the guidance of the county government where the person is unable to read or to access information on the Public Participation Issue.
- Determine the manner in which he or she shall participate and
- Complying with the provisions of this Act and any other laws relating to Public Participation and observe decorum and maintain law and order.